Popeye understood that spinach has some magical properties. Stacked full of protein, iron, calcium and magnesium, plus a heap of vitamins with loads of vitamin A and C, not only is great for your strength it is wonderful for your hair and skin. His blend though has heaps of other wonderful natural ingredients. Parsley with vitamin K and a mysterious flavonoid called Myricetin which seems to help prevent skin cancer. Mint has the highest antioxidant content of any food and celery provides plenty of fibre and another mystical chemical called Apigenin which reduces inflammation and stimulates brain cell growth. An apple a day truly does keep the Doctor away and the bananas add a hint of sweetness and smoothness to the blend, especially when fully ripe. All topped off with the best anti-oxidant of them all, vitamin C simple oozing from the citrus fruit.
This recipe will make around 2500ml of ‘ready to drink blend’ enough for around 10 serves. You can make it more concentrated if you wish and then dilute to taste with cold water. It will store comfortably in the fridge for 4-5 days if sealed. Most of all it tastes absolutely Yummy. Popeye never had it this good!
Popeye’s Green Blend
- 100 g baby spinach
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2-3 sticks celery
- 2 green apples
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 large lemons or limes, flesh only
- 1 avocado ripe
- 1000 ml water extra as required
- Add the spinach, parsley and mint to the blender with around 500ml of water and briefly blast the greens to a coarse pulp.
- Chop the celery into pieces, remove the cores and any stickers from the apples, leave the skin on and chop into large pieces. Peel the bananas and avocado and remove the skin from the citrus.
- Put the fruit into the blender in batches along with another 500ml of water and once chopped up, run the blender on full blast for about one minute.
- You should now have a glorious, smooth, rich green blend.
- Decant into sealed glass containers and refrigerate.